An estimated one out of 42 boys and one in 189 women are recognized with autism within the United States. If we take a look at 1,000,000 individuals, that may be 23,000 boys and 5,300 women. Today, autism has a direct and substantial impression not solely on households, however our complete group, governmental assets, and financial system.
Autism is the quickest-rising critical developmental incapacity within the nation. Autism prices the nation over $238 billion per yr, a determine anticipated to considerably improve within the subsequent decade.
While there isn’t a medical detection or recognized remedy for autism, hundreds of youngsters have proven vital enchancment ensuing from early analysis and remedy. Those households who can’t afford remedy endure in silence.
The WGAF was created to step up and have a serious influence in west Georgia. The present counties we’ll serve embrace Coweta, Carroll, Cobb, Douglas, Haralson, Heard, Paulding, Polk and Troup. Here is an replace and the place we’re in the present day.
The over $10,000 of donated seed cash has allowed us to maneuver at a faster tempo.
1. Board – Our board of administrators consists of numerous and gifted individuals. We have therapists, regulation enforcement officers, grant writers, legal professionals, skilled fundraisers, a nonprofit specialist and others who’re completely dedicated to finishing up our three main features: elevating cash to financially help households, offering consciousness about autism and inspiring acceptance by way of schooling.
2. Friends of the Foundation – This group of nationally recognized public figures has agreed to help, endorse, and improve consciousness. While the record is rising, a few the buddies embrace Retired General Gary Harrell, commander of the Black Hawk, the helicopter within the true story and film “Black Hawk Down”; and Duane Allen, lead singer of the Oak Ridge Boys.
3. West Georgia Autism Documentary – The movie manufacturing firm, Felt, lately made a donation within the type of making a documentary. The interviews concentrate on specific households right here in our group. The movie is predicted to be launched quickly. While it isn’t official, it seems the identify shall be “West Georgia Confronts Autism.”
4. Relationship with Autism Speaks (AS) – AS is probably the most outstanding autism group within the nation. After attending our final board assembly, AS dedicated to partnering with the WGAF in each approach – notably with working with lawmakers in Georgia to make our state the chief in addressing autism. Their web site is www.autismspeaks.org.
5. Website – We are at present creating an internet site that may embody all features of autism in west Georgia. The net tackle shall be www.wgaautism.org.
6. Media help – Numerous newspapers, tv channels and different media retailers have pledged their help in getting the WGAF constructive publicity.
There are extra inspiring updates, however I can’t match them on this column.
I invite every of you to “get on board” by supporting the WGAF as we develop and make a distinction. If you need to be positioned on the e-mail listing, donate or need to assist in any method, please contact me by way of e-mail at email@example.com.
As I’ve stated, and now starting to listen to, with God’s path, the WGAF will have an effect on your complete west Georgia group.
Jason Swindle is a legal-protection lawyer and school professor in Carrollton.